Sep 28, 2010

Group Tailgating

Thanks for the guest post by Donn Schroeder

There are about twenty of us who get together for tailgating at Steelers games. No other fans in the country can tailgate like a Steelers fan can. I'm the barbecue expert. It is my responsibility to show up with my professional grill at the game. If the game starts at 1:00, then we are there in the parking lot as soon as the security guards will allow us. The good thing about the Steelers organization is that they are very fan friendly. They know where their bread and butter come from.



It takes me about an hour to round up my friends and family on the way to the stadium. We all go in my fourteen passenger van except for the other six who ride in my uncle's van. My grill is actually a trailer that can be pulled behind the van. I'm out the door before anyone else. I set the home security alarm along with the adt carbon monoxide detector and get going.

Each of us has a job to do to pull off our outstanding tailgating events. A couple of guys are in charge of drinks, a couple more in charge of making the sandwiches. Charlie isn't much of a fan so we use him to hold down the paper plates from blowing away. He does a good job!

There are twenty of us, but I'd say we cook enough food for 150 fans for every game we attend. I cook lots of burgers and Sausage. Sausages are a “Burgh Thing.” Only the faithful know. Fans that used to only go to the game and eat stadium food now show up for my cooking. Even though I don't need them to, some of them slip a few bucks in my pocket for the next tailgating event. I put it all back into food items that I give away in the parking lot before the games.
***